Become a Volunteer Foster Caregiver
The Ongoing Need for Rabbit Foster Homes
Our local shelters and rescue organizations are frequently overwhelmed with domestic rabbits in need of homes. Often we are the last resort for a rabbit in peril.
Sadly, many pet rabbits die in shelters or after being dumped because no one is available to foster them – that is, to care for them temporarily until they can find loving, forever homes. It is heartbreaking for us to turn a rabbit away because so few people consider fostering.
Are you that kind of special person who can share your love and caring for a rabbit that needs an immediate safe haven while it awaits a permanent home? We hope you are thinking, “Yes, I am!”
Rabbit Advocates always needs new, qualified, longer-term foster providers! If you can commit to at least 6 months of fostering with the organization, we would love to hear from you. Rabbit Advocates is an all-volunteer organization and does not have a shelter facility, and is not able to offer short-term foster placements. Here is some quick information about our foster program:
- Prospective foster providers must complete our Foster Application and complete a successful in-person or virtual home visit with the Rabbit Advocates Foster Team.
- Foster bunnies must be housed indoors.
- Foster bunnies must have access to at least 12 square feet of space at all times, or 16 square feet for a bonded pair.
- Foster providers must live in Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas, Columbia, or Clark Counties in the greater Portland area.
- Foster providers are responsible for the day-to-day care of foster bunnies and for working with the Rabbit Advocates Adoption Team to help find the bunny’s forever home. Foster providers are eligible to adopt their own foster bunnies through the Rabbit Advocates adoption process.
- Foster providers ensure that bunnies go to all scheduled veterinary appointments, including intake exams and spays/neuters. All veterinary care for foster bunnies is covered by Rabbit Advocates.
- Rabbit Advocates gives foster providers one voucher for a free 10lb bag of Bunny’s Best Bites hay per bunny per month, redeemable with volunteer home sellers.
- Rabbit Advocates can provide loaner supplies, such as an exercise pen and litter box, upon signature of a supplies contract.
Click the links on this page to learn all about fostering with Rabbit Advocates.
See the Resources & Links section for mailing and email addresses and links to important applications, documents, and educational materials.
Still have questions? Please contact us at email@example.com.
About our program
What is fostering?
Rewards & challenges
Foster Care Guidelines
How RA can help
Foster home wish list
Re-homing your own rabbit
Resources & Links