How do I find a forever home for the foster rabbits in my care?
If you love rabbits, you will naturally enjoy having a foster rabbit in your home — and it’s also natural to feel sad when it’s time to adopt out the rabbit or for the rabbit to return to a shelter for adoption. But helping save the lives of rabbits by preparing them to find forever homes is one of the most rewarding things you can do.
The adoption process can be simple and quick, though usually it requires some time and effort on your part to match your foster rabbit with a compatible and loving home. Typically, it involves:
- Online posting of a photo and description including the Rabbit Advocates Adoptable Rabbits web page, RescueGroups.org, Petfinder, and Facebook pages. Don’t worry if you’re not technically adept; we will help you do this!
- Bringing the foster rabbit to adoption events.
- Posting flyers in pet-friendly locations. Flyers can be printed by clicking the print icon on your foster’s profile in RescueGroups.org.
- Networking with people who might want to consider adopting a rabbit.
- Providing educational materials and coaching to a new adopter, whether or not the adopter is experienced with indoor pet rabbits.
Adoption Application & Adoption Contract
All potential adopters must complete an Adoption Application, which is then screened by our Adoption Counselors, that will help you assess their suitability as an adoptive home for the foster rabbit in your care.
An approved adopter also must complete an adoption contract, which we will provide for you. Adoption fees are $50 ($75 for bonded pair).
For more details about our Foster & Adoptions program, visit the “Foster and Adoptions Standards” page.